Farm-to-Table Vegetable Tian
Recipe Courtesy of: Lisa Golden Schroeder, cookbook author, editor and blogger at fooddesigns
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 1 hr | Serves: 6
- ¼ c. olive oil, divided
- 3 large shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 24 oz. Tasteful Selections® potatoes, halved (Recipe favorites: White Delights or Honey Gold)
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 3 large plum tomatoes, sliced
- ½ c. fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves or ½ tsp. dried thyme
Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Lightly brush a 2-quart baking dish or casserole with oil. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic; sauté about 6 minutes, or until very tender. Spoon into baking dish; top with potatoes. Season well with salt and pepper.
Arrange the zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes alternately on top of potatoes, fitting them in tightly. Drizzle with two tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil; bake 45-50 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Mix remaining 1 tablespoon oil with the breadcrumbs and cheese; sprinkle over the vegetables. Bake uncovered about 15 minutes longer, or until golden and crisp. Sprinkle with thyme.
- Test potato doneness with the tip of a paring knife, cutting down into the potato layer.
- Make this a vegetarian entrée by sprinkling the potato layer with cheese—try some shredded smoked provolone or sprinkle in fresh mozzarella pearls.